Monday, January 3, 2011

Floor Lamp Makeover

This project was originally posted January 2011 but I wanted to Spruce it up and link it to Funky Junk Interiors  Sat Nite Special link party #126 - unique lighting.

When I purchased this floor lamp I LOVED it!  Ya, not so much now.  Here she is ...




I wanted a lantern to fit over the existing light that was hanging, it was not easy to find but as they say when you least expect it ...




I found this red lantern at a local hardware store prior to Christmas.  It was exactly what I was looking for but the wrong colour!  So , I removed the glass, and got to work.

 We went out to the workshop, and I set up my high tech spray booth so I could paint it Oil Rubbed Bronze.  In Blog World there is White Paint, Chalk Paint and Oil Rubbed Bronze ... that's it!
Once painted, I covered the front and back glass panels with frosted contact paper.  For the side panels Frank came up with the idea to make it look like a lantern from an old train so I got the Cricut out and cut out AT & SF  1536  out of the contact paper "Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe ... Caboose #1536"
(side note, I no longer have a Cricut I have a Silhouette Cameo and it would have ACED this project!) 
Frank also found an old ticket from the same railway, that is what is tied to the top, here is a close up
Cool isn't it?

Here's the after 

Yes this image says Starwood Country Creations, did I tell you that I changed my blog name Ump-teen times!  It's 12am right now, I'm tired, I've been haggling with a kid on Kijiji who wants to buy Frank's golf clubs but would like us to drive 2 hours to bring them to him, oh and do you take a cheque (don't piss me off kid  I'm menopausal and the hormones are looking for someone to take it out on) Ok, where were we?  Right - my blog name changes.   One image missed the name change and I ain't changin it right now cus I am one sleepy grump.
Anyho, here it is in it's new resting spot (prior to my cool Coke End Table)

Nite Nite, sleep tight (why tight, what does that mean?  I throw the covers off ... oh geez Hot Flash taking over)

I'm linking to ...








10 comments:

Erin said...

Jo, that is super cool! I love it and you did a terrific job!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jo! I'm in France next week but I'm going to visit Jenny's store the week after that. I'll take lots of pictures!!!!

Marianne said...

What a great idea to add a lantern! And an even greater idea to make the glass frosted with that cool text.
Great job! And so timely with those early dark evenings, you have lots of time to enjoy your new light.

Lady Jane said...

I like it!!! You did a great job with a fantastic idea!!! I need to read about this sort of thing to be creative myself. Glad I found you.

Proper Prim said...

OMG, that is to die for... what a fantastic idea. Love the ticket and the frosted glass with cut outs... fabulous job guys... now I want one BAD... I have the lantern now I am on the look out for a lamp.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Hugs, Deb

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love this idea...looks outstanding!

Blessings,
Linda

Megan Gunyan said...

That is awesome. I love it! What a unique way to fix a lamp! Great idea, you and your hubs!

Have you joined my giveaway for a free painting? I hope you can! http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-with-sometimes-i-swirl.html

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a wonderful idea. I love that you added the train ticket and frosted glass.
Hugs,
Sherry

Unknown said...

I love your new lamp! What a great makeover. New follower. :)

Donna said...

Your lantern lamp is perfect! Such an improvement! I spray paint just about everything, too:)