Monday, June 18, 2012

Bed and Breakfast Sign Knock Off

I pinned this sign recently, I loved it and knew I had to make one!



This past weekend I was going on a Ladies Weekend to a friend's cottage and had been trying to decide what I would take as a hostess gift.  (insert light bulb turning on here) This sign would be perfect!!!
So I set out to start designing my version of this using Silhouette Studio.

This is a screen capture which shows how the type fits into the shape I was working with.  I had cut out half of the sign outline and traced it onto press board.  Frank used the Jigsaw and cut out the shape for me, he also sanded the edges for me.  When I cut the lettering out I left the sign outline so I would have a guideline for lining up on the wood.


In the meantime, I painted the board out in black, then gave it a coat of watered down elmers glue so the next layer would crackle.


I painted over the black with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Old White, let it dry so it would crack.  When the paint was still a little damp I scraped some areas for heavy distressing, then sanded the whole sign and focusing on the edges.

One of the best things I have learned for script fonts especially is using good quality vinyl for my stencils and the right cut setting is key to fast weeding of the vinyl.  I also like using a dark vinyl so I can see the weeded letters better.
I forgot to take a picture while painting.  Here is the painted sign propped up outside so I can varnish.  Boy do I need a studio space!


Here is the final sign hanging in it's new home!

I'm linking to
 and


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love it! We have a guest suite with bedroom in our basement and that sign would be perfect.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful! I'll bet that was a much loved gift, too.

visiting from Feathered Nest Friday : )

Erika@BeBookBound said...

I can't get enough of pub signs, and now you have me hooked on B&B signs! It turned out lovely!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jo, WOW is that ever a wonderful sign. You did an amazing job and your tutorial is fabulous. What a talent you are.
You have inspired me to do one as well, maybe adding roses.

Thank you for stopping by my studio and your kind comment. So glad you added your link to profile.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Serendipitous Home said...

That is priceless, you are soooo good!
I bet she really got a laugh when your hostess saw it.

Have a great week.

Serendipitous Home said...

Hi Jo,
I have tried a couple of times to add you to my blog roll with no luck. Any one else have this same problem?
I would love to have you on it.

Sandra

heather @ new house, new home, new life said...

Fabulous! And perfect for the busy hostess - I've even got my guests bringing their own towels now - cuts down on laundry.

I haven't visited for a while - needed to catch up. Glad I did as I love this project.

Proper Prim said...

Perfect... love, love, love it. I have to put this one in my Inspiration file.

Hope you are well... it has been awhile.

Hugs,
Deb

Proper Prim said...

Perfect... love, love, love it. I have to put this one in my Inspiration file.

Hope you are well... it has been awhile.

Hugs,
Deb