Sunday, October 31, 2010

My First Link Up!

I have been so inspired by the many blogs I am following.  Til now I have been a spectator and have not participated in any link ups or contests but this weekend I said "Gosh darn! I'm going to get involved".  I improvised with items I had available so I'll show you how I turned this ...


Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special






Into this ...



I started with a mirror that I have had for years, I've tried to sell this mirror in garage sales but I have moved it 4 times!  Somehow it even survived my goodwill donations, so it was time to Use it or Lose it!  I painted out the mirror with Caromal Colours Paint,  this textured paint sticks to almost anything.  My first coat was in Colonial Blue ...

As impatient as I am I was able to leave this to dry over night.  While this was drying I used some Omni Gel to transfer an image to use on this sign.  I was inspired by some art that Miss Mustard Seed used for one of her hand painted signs so I created something close to that ...

I started coating my copy with Omni Gel, as I mentioned I used what I already had, I wish I had professional sign equipment like Donna at Funky Junk or even a Cricut so I could create a stencil so I could paint the sign instead.  I don't care for the glossy textured finish that the Omni Gel has. 
This morning I gave the mirror a coat of white paint and started soak my image transfer to remove the paper.


Next I used the omni gel to add the expression to my painted mirror

Once the gel dryed, I applied some aging gel, sanded back the paint to distress.  You will notice the shine in the image above.  I don't like the shine so adding paint and sanding back helped to remove this finish.  I completed the job with a coat of wax and a string to hang ... Whala!


Thank you to all the wonderfully talented women who inspire me by sharing their projects and how to's on their blogs!



10 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow Joanne, very well done! Your project looks wonderful! I just love how distressed that frame came out. Perfect!

Welcome to your first link up! I'm honored you picked SNS. :)

Donna

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Great sign, Joanne, I love it!

Erin said...

Love this! I think you did an outstanding job!

Proper Prim said...

What a great job you did on your sign... I have never heard of Omni Gel... hmmm have to check that out... but I would have to get rid of the shiny part too.

Welcome to blogland, found you over at Donna's.

I am your newest follower, love to see more of your projects.

Have a great day...

Hugs, Deb

Muddaritaville said...

Hi Deb, I've been experimenting with different transfer mediums, Omni Gel being one. I purchased it at Michael's you will find it in the glue section. I think I prefer the results using an acrylic medium or gesso. I will use Gesso on my next project.

Jo

April @ HomeHinges.com said...

Really beautiful. I'm a huge fan of Miss Mustard Seed's signs. Yours turned out great. Thank goodness you still had that mirror! It was meant to be.

Cranes for Katy said...

Looks great!

Deserae said...

This is AMAZING! I can't believe you made this out of an old mirror you had on hand...it was just meant to be! Can't wait to see where you hang it :o)
~Des

Missy said...

I love it! Gorgeous, and thanks for the steps for doing the project!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful first linky project. I have been looking for inspiration for a sign I want to create and I love your sign. I am going to link it up to my projects I want to try.
Thanks so much for the inspiration.
Traci